What’s behind the name?
Pryor’s Pizza Kitchen finally meets an ever growing demand for coal-fired pizza in the Midwest and is proud to be OKC Metro’s FIRST! The name itself as well as the interior of the restaurant, designed by Southwind Hills Home & Design, reflects the modern sensibilities of the surrounding area while also paying tribute to Norman’s storied past.
Pryor’s Pizza is named for one of Norman’s earliest prominent entrepreneurs and our Great-Great-Great Grandfather, Pryor V. Adkins. In 1873, in search of continuing economic opportunities, he moved our family to a camping place in “Norman’s Camp” where he met and friended surveyor, Abner Norman. Before the opening of the unassigned lands to settlement in 1889, Pryor, along with several others, formed the Norman Townsite Company creating a map of the townsite so that each member could easily locate their desired town lots. On the day of the landrun, Pryor acquired many town lots right here on present day Main Street, including the spot where the Sooner Theater now stands. The Planters Hotel was established as one of Norman’s first substantial businesses where soldiers stayed shortly after the run to maintain order in the new town. His other building, known as the Adkins-Welsh Rock Building at 208 W. Main, (right across the street from us!), most notably housed the University of Oklahoma’s first students until the University Hall was finished on campus in 1903. Pryor provided a foundation for our family to contribute to the financial success of the City of Norman that we know today and we couldn’t be more proud to honor his legacy.
What does pizza have to do with Pryor? Absolutely nothing! But the Adkins’ family really does love coal-fired pizza and are excited to bring you traditional pizza with a contemporary twist…made with love from our family to yours.
SOME INFORMATION GATHERED WITH HELP FROM THE CLEVELAND COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
123 W. Main St.
Norman, OK 73069
T - Th 11a–9p
F & Sa 11a–10p